Key facts of Greece
- Greece is situated in Southeastern Europe, with an area of 131,957 sq.km. and a population of 10,964,020.
- Athens is the capital of Greece with a population of 3,192,606.
- Local time is GMT + 2 hours.
- The Hellenic Republic is a Presidential Parliamentary Democracy.
- President of the Hellenic Republic: Mr Karolos Papoulias.
- Prime Minister: Mr Constantinos Karamanlis.
- Parliament: Three hundred elected members with elections held every four years.
- Greece is a member state of E.U. since 1981.
- The currency is euro.
- The Greek economy adopts the principles of free enterprise and is bound by the regulations of international organisations such as ECOFIN and WTO, of which it is a member.
Administration of the Country
Greece is divided into 13 administrative divisions, named "Peripheries" (Districts):
- Eastern Macedonia & Thrace
- Central Macedonia
- Western Macedonia
- Western Greece
- The Ionian Islands
- Central Greece
- The Peloponnese
- The Northern Aegean Islands
- The Southern Aegean Islands
The next level of administrative division is the "Nomos" (Perfecture). In total there are 51 Nomi, and one self-governed territorial division (Agion Oros, on Mount Athos).
Local Communities are named either "Dimos" (City) or "Kinotita" (Community). In total there are 900 Dimi and 133 Kinotites.